Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cloudy, With A Chance of Turkeys

We are studying weather in earth science.  It's hard stuff.  Air masses, atmospheric pressure systems, and other concepts that challenge my brain.  I never knew rain could be so complicated.

We needed to take a break and DO something to break up all the reading.


So we made a cloud poster.


It sometimes helps to remember things if you have an opportunity to work with your hands.  This is especially true if you are a creative type (like me) or a middle school boy (like them).  Doing is better than sitting.


And if you are the glue stealing type (like her) you like these kinds of projects too.


The boys are getting older and the work load in homeschool is growing exponentially.  It becomes more of a challenge to introduce hands on activities that keep learning fun.  It is more of a chore to work those activities into a busy schedule.


But learning is our primary goal, and I need to remember to always evaluate HOW they learn, and not just be consumed with WHAT they learn.


Because having your head in the clouds CAN BE fun.

Would you look at this?  Daddy did last night's shower.  How is it possible that she looked worse after the shower than she did before?  Daddy doesn't do hair.  Here's proof.


In other family news, a turkey lives here now.  And I don't mean the Old Buzzard.  I had a slightly overwhelming weekend, and my Mom treated me to a pick-me-up.  She surprised me with this kicky turkey, who I am madly in love with.  He looks particularly comfy snuggled up with this cute little pumpkin, which is too bad.  I borrowed the pumpkin from my Mom for supper club this last weekend and it's time to return it.  In the meantime though, turkey is keeping it in good company and together, they are making my coffee table a very happy place.

Now, if you'll kindly excuse me, I need to go explore the effects of pressure gradients on wind.  I wish cotton balls could help me with that.


1 comment:

Theodwyn said...

Love the pic of the "glue stealer"! What an expressive look! And that's a great project for learning cloud types!