Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Big, Fat, Hairy Rant

The only thing worse than a terrible haircut is two bad haircuts in a row. I was really unhappy with my cut on Thursday. It was uneven and choppy and I'll leave it at that. So, yesterday I went to someone new (which was really hard) and asked to have it evened up. That was tough for me, because I dearly love the adorable girl who has cut my hair for years. She is upbeat and positive and a joy to be near. I was extremely specific about what I wanted done yesterday, and over emphasized how nervous I was about getting a second cut.

It went from bad to worse. I was scalped.

Not since my (un)glory junior high years have I dedicated so much emotional drama to my hair. I came home in tears last night, and despite constant prayer I can't seem to get past the fact that I have a horrific hair style. Here's the thing....it's really hard for me to stand up for myself and speak my mind. But during BOTH haircuts I felt like I was very specific and vocal about exactly and precisely what I did NOT want, which is exactly what I ended up with. I have tons of layers, no length, and lots of "texture"....all of which I begged to not have.

I get upset every time I look in the mirror, and I can't decide if it is because I passionately hate the cut or because I'm disappointed in myself for allowing this to be too big of a deal.

It's just hair. It grows. In the scheme of life's potential problems, this doesn't even make the radar. So why can't I get past the anger and disappointment and heartbreak that I feel? In the midst of remodeling, when funds could have been allocated a million other places, I paid a fortune twice to end up desperately unhappy. I have no options for "fixing it" because I have NO HAIR left to "fix". This is evidenced by the fact that last night Buzzard suggested we rent the movie G.I. Jane. Let me just tell you that it was waaaaayyyyy too soon for bald actress jokes.

I have a big social event next weekend with lots of people I have not seen in years and now I don't want to go. How immature is that??? This entire experience makes me want to crawl inside the pantry and eat lots of cookies. But someone beat me to it.

No hair pictures today. I can't bear it. Instead, I'll show you my exciting project for the day. The new shelves are done and they look amazing. I am ready to bring all our school books in from the garage and start arranging. I'm looking so forward, after all the craziness of the last several weeks, to getting back into a routine and schedule. We're starting school on Tuesday, and since I have not even looked at our new box of books for this year, it will be extra exciting to load these shelves with all our supplies for the coming year.

Buzz needs to install the knobs on the doors for me. A certain someone was playing with the knobs this morning and has run off and hid them. We've looked everywhere we can think of and still no knobs. We finally gave up looking. I know sooner or later I'm going to open or lift something and find a little pile of shiny brass hardware. :-)

Our remodeling gusto has waned to a mere dribble, but we're crawling toward the finish line here with a few carpet decisions. The staircase is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. Do we go for the high drama of black pattern? Or do we play it safe and go with a patterned, cut pile berber? Buzzard is worried about the pets shedding on black carpet. (I'll leave that job to them since I have no hair left to shed.) So, I took the cat and rubbed him all over my carpet board sample. Then, I gathered up a little handful of lint and stuck it to the board to see how noticeable it was. I'm in danger of having no life at all. I'm hunting down a lint collection for my carpet board samples. Is this what people with bad hair do with their time??

Lucky for us, we have design advice. And help. Lots and lots of help.

What carpet should we choose? Where are my new knobs? How fast does hair grow? These are the pressing issues that I am humbled you tune in to read about. I'm going to work on ramping up the excitement a little bit when I write about the new bathroom paint color. :-)



2 comments:

kgroenbeck said...

I like the way the black carpet looks with the color of the walls.
And,,,,hair does grow fast.
Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Brooke! I LOVE the black! (Kate Huffman) and YES, I've been perusing! (thanks to Jeff's advertisement on Facebook) You are truly amazing in all that you do for your family!