Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Court of Honor

This weekend has been a total blast, start to finish. We partied like we meant it. Then we rested up a bit and partied some more! I have lots of photos to share with you from our weekend, but I'm going to start with today's festivities.

It was an honor to celebrate with my sweet friend Wendy, and her husband Joseph, at their son Benjamin's Eagle Scout Court of Honor today. Some friends and I helped put out food for a little reception following the ceremony. They had a great turn out, and Benjamin did a fantastic job! I was so proud of him, and so very happy for Wendy.

Wendy is my quilting buddy. That was the common thread that very first knit together our friendship. I insisted that she use one of her amazing quilts as a tablecloth today to display Benjamin's scrapbooks and scouting memorabilia, and I'm so glad she took my advice. Doesn't it look fantastic? She keeps this one on the back of the couch in her den, and I keep wondering if she'd notice if it went missing one day.

My beautiful and talented friend, Wendy, and her accomplished boy!

Benjamin and Garrett, his master of ceremonies. There is something so inspiring about seeing boys reach this level of scouting, and it is such an honor to acknowledge and celebrate the amount of hard work and dedication that it takes to get there!

Of course, I will now be showing you a photo of the food spread, because that is what a good German woman does. :-)

My friend took this picture of me, and it cracks me up because I totally look like I am sprouting from a tray of pineapples and strawberries.


Wendy MADE this cake. With her bare hands. Hayden took one look at it and said it looked like The Cake Boss had done it. Agreed! :-) She read about a new technique where you freeze frosting, and that is what she did to make the elaborate eagle emblem. She has some mad baking skills, and more patience than is fair for any one person to have!

She also made this quilted eagle banner. Wendy's mom did the embroidery work for her. Wendy and I actually bought this eagle last year when we attended a quilt show together, and she made a plan at that time to have this project completed by his court of honor ceremony. I'm so proud of her for finishing it. This is a work of art! I know Benjamin will treasure it forever. LOTS of work goes into something intricate like this.

The cake table display area.

My sweet girlfriend. Wendy and I have made an art out of meeting up at Starbuck's to solve the world's problems. I love our coffee dates, and I hope there are lots more quilts, and lots more celebrations in our future together.

Hannah, and her favorite official Eagle Scout!

Congratulations to Benjamin on a well deserved and long awaited day. I'm so blessed that my family was there to share in a special memory with treasured friends.

1 comment:

Theodwyn said...

Brooke,
You did an amazing job with the reception. It was wonderful to not have to worry about all the little details. Thanks again to you and all my great friends for helping out and sharing in this celebration.
Love,
Wendy