Monday, May 3, 2010

Makes Me Want To Dance

Tonight the temperatures fell. The air grew cool and crisp. The winds picked up, and in blew a storm. Not a raging, angry storm; but a steady, rhythmic, nourishing rain.

I stepped onto the porch to wave goodbye to my boys, who headed off to scouts.

I called Hannah to come stand with me and smell the rain. It smelled clean, wet, relaxing. My body is tired. My voice is gone, my throat is sore. I feel.....tired. Worn. Foggy. But the smell of rain was purifying. Peaceful. Calm.

Emma ran out, and we invited her to go dance in the rain.

She did. I stepped inside to grab my camera.

Twirling, laughing,
skipping, running, clapping.

Pitter, patter. Splish, splash. Giggle, giggle. "Mommy! Mommy!"

All the sounds that go perfectly with the rain.

Messy hair. Muddy toes. Brand new Tinkerbell beads on her arm. It's springtime, and God sent rain. Reason enough to celebrate, with deep breaths and joyful steps.

I'm a planner by nature. I like to think of creative ways to make things special. But sometimes the most memorable moments happen when you just open the door, take a deep breath, and step out into the rain.

Tonight reminds me of a sign that Dad and Suzanne gave me for Christmas a few years ago. This hangs in my kitchen.

HOSEA 6:3

"So let us know...let us press on to know the Lord. For His coming forth is as certain as the dawn, and He will come to us like the rain. Like the spring rain watering the earth."

My very favorite verse in the Bible.

1 comment:

Theodwyn said...

She is so adorable! I love these. Spontaneous moments are awesome.