Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Wild Wednesday

Sometimes, life picks up the pace without me necessarily noticing. All of the sudden, I feel like a passenger on a bullet train that I never remember even boarding. Case in point would be this very week.

I knew today was going to be a challenge, so I darted out to Starbuck's early this morning and treated myself to a little energy booster. Some motivational brew, if you will. I can't afford to take my van load of kids to Starbucks without selling all their shoes and favorite toys first, but sometimes when I sneak off there alone I try to bring home a little treat to assuage some of the guilt. Or maybe it's because I'm just a really thoughtful Mom. Let's just go with that one instead. :) Today I got vanilla bean scones because they looked prim and proper, and of course that immediately made me think of my boys.

And how I long for them to be prim and proper.

It would have been fun to make tea and get out a few of my grandmother's china plates, but there was the not-so-little matter of a very big agenda, so I just pushed a scone on a paper napkin in their direction and called it a good deed.

I volunteered to prepare and deliver food for our church's Wednesday night supper tonight. These meals are a fund raiser for my daughter's Bible Bowl team, and since our church does not have a kitchen, all the food has to be transported. The menu was simple - sloppy joes, chips, veggies with ranch dip, and brownies. It suddenly didn't feel entirely simple though when I set out to brown 15 pounds of meat. That's a lot! Here's the funny thing about blogging. I had all this food to prepare on a looming deadline, but I took the time to arrange all the ingredients so I could take a picture of them. It's a blog thing; this crazy craving for remembrance. If you look closely, you will notice that my chips have rabbit ears. :)

I had helpers lined up to assist with brownie baking. By "helpers" I mean those willing to do this...

Once we finished school, the boys set up a game in the den and I listened to them play while I individually wrapped sixty brownies. I listened while thinking up mean and hateful names for the evil and torturous kitchen product that is Press and Seal.

Sticky. Clingy. Bunchy. Hassle.

I had exactly enough squares to wrap 59 brownies, and wouldn't you know the very last one cracked in half when I went to lift it out of the pan. Old number sixty became the wrapper's reward.

I delivered all the food to church, tackled a mountain of paperwork to register my boys for scout camp, and cleaned out the bottom of the refrigerator where 15 pounds of hamburger left a leaky mess. Once I type it out it doesn't really seem like all that big of a deal, but I feel like I went 100 miles per hour all day long. I'm tired, and I smell like a sloppy joe.

So, there you have it. Life in the fast lane. :)  













No comments: