Friday, October 15, 2010

Dear Santa....

Several days ago Mom and I were in Costco, where, in a fervent attempt to cover their marketing bases, they have all manner of Christmas finery on display. The toy isle was brimming with impulse purchases including, but not limited to, life sized ponies.

Emma is a firm believer in love at first sight.

We pet the horsie and gave it a name. "Butterfly". We kissed its nose and professed true love. Then we tore ourselves away to go buy apples and rotisserie chickens. There were real tears and everything.


So, we circled back, and this time brother let a pony out of the "cage" so we could take him for a spin, right there between the Hanes underwear display and the fresh Pacific Salmon filets.

Again, parting was sweet sorrow, but I lifted up Butterfly's ear and asked her if she wanted to tell him a secret before we left. She leaned in real close and whispered, "I LOVE YOU!"

And then my heart melted into a puddle of mush and I've spent every day since deciding how to cleverly work a life sized pony into my living room decor. Just because.

No comments: