Tuesday, February 9, 2010

If The Chocolate Doesn't Kill Her, I Just Might

It was well after midnight when I finished hot gluing the last of the Butterfinger hearts onto little paper butterfly wings. Buzzard sat up dutifully fashioning pipe cleaner antennae while watching You've Got Mail with me.

Because the man is a saint. And will do almost anything for a Butterfinger heart.

Emma started screaming, which is unusual, so I rushed upstairs to check on her. I glanced at my bedroom door to make sure it was closed, which it was, so I assumed the dogs were in there asleep.

Never in the history of being wrong have I ever been more wrong.

In the seven minutes that I sat upstairs rocking Emma back to sleep, my (bad! bad! bad!) dog Mindy jumped up on the homeschool table and laid waste to my Valentine butterflies. Near as I can tell, she consumed 28 Butterfinger hearts, along with a fairly healthy dose of aluminum foil, hot glue, and construction paper.

28 chocolate hearts. Even I couldn't accomplish that in one sitting.

My brand new carpet. An entire evening's worth of Valentine-ing. 28 chocolate hearts. I'm a little worked up.

Then there's my Buzzard. He has a Big Wig in at work this week. Big Wig lives in Europe and is here for two days, so today and tomorrow are HUGE for the Buzzard. That would be the Buzzard who, instead of getting a decent night's sleep, has been cutting out eyeballs, bending antennae, and doing google searches on lethal chocolate doses in dogs and how to induce vomiting in spaniels. Because that's something you always want to know at 1:00 in the morning.

Never. A. Dull. Moment. Even in the wee hours.....

2 comments:

SmallWorld at Home said...

Horrible! And the chocolate probably won't kill her. We kept waiting for our dog to keel over after she ate 2 bags of Hershey's kisses (foil included), but she's still kickin'...

Melissa said...

I just stumbled on your blog and had to comment on this.

Like the previous comment, our dog ate an entire package of chocolate santa pops, including foil and popsicle sticks and she was fine...

I did however have to induce vomiting after I found her chewing on a bottle of Allegra. She weighed 30 lbs and I gave her 1 T of hydrogen peroxide, then had to dig through the vomit to see if she actually ingested any...let's hope you didn't have to do this...